Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A New Commandment

Jesus said: "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:34-35 ESV). I preached from this passage this past Sunday, July 5. (Click here to listen.) I encouraged everyone to focus on one point of the message each day for five days. Here are the questions for personal evaluation that I gave.

Day 1 -- Do I really consider loving my brothers and sisters in Christ to be a command? How am I doing at obeying the command?

Day 2 -- Am I trying to love in my own strength, or am I allowing the Holy Spirit to fuel my love? Do I love as Jesus loves - unconditionally, sacrificially, without limits, inexhaustibly?

Day 3 -- Do I consistently possess attitudes and undertake actions that promote good for others?

Day 4 -- Are there any Christians that I don't love for any reason? Are there exceptions in my love for others?

Day 5 -- Does a watching world know that I am Jesus' disciple because of the way I love my fellow Christians?

Jesus said,
If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them (John 13:17 ESV).

No comments:

Post a Comment